If you're interested in functional programming, you might also want to checkout my second blog which i'm actively working on!!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Geolocation supported by latest version of browsers


If you installed the latest update of your preferred browser you might see a new small blue button in google maps. This button only appears if your browser supports geolocation. This functionality basically enables the browser to ask it's "location provider" for an approximate location. This location is determined based on
"WIFI access point", "IP-address", "GPS" or a combination.

Of course I updated my browser immediately (Firefox 3.5.3) and did a test. Without GSP available to my browser, it still gives a pretty good estimate of my location (+- few 100 metres).

No comments:

Post a Comment