If you're interested in functional programming, you might also want to checkout my second blog which i'm actively working on!!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Another example why we all love IE !!

Besides from the usual frustrations I encounter in my day to day live developing webapplications which SHOULD also work on Internet Explorer, I just found another little reason to drop IE from my support list.

Why? I just had a discussion with my customer explaining that the reason why some stuff failed to work was the trailing space in a @id attribute. Firefox for instance shows the data as it should.. untouched. The customer however was a bit frustrated because when he opened the xml file in IE, he did not see the trailing space so we ended up in a small yes-no discussion ;-)

Firefox:
----------











IE:
-----------











Lesson learned: Be carefull when debugging issues using Internet Explorer.

@Microsoft:
Do you really consider this a feature... or is this just one of many bugs?

Cheers,
Robby Pelssers

1 comment:

  1. http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#AVNormalize

    "If the attribute type is not CDATA, then the XML processor MUST further process the normalized attribute value by discarding any leading and trailing space (#x20) characters, and by replacing sequences of space (#x20) characters by a single space (#x20) character."

    ReplyDelete